Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Children the only chattel you can't legally sell.....

The fact is that your children can abuse you, rob you, destroy your reputation, cost you thousands with little to no return, even land your ass in jail but they don't really have to take responsibility because they are "Kids".  From 0-18 years kids have a never ending get out of jail free card. Anytime your kids does something that makes you want to abort them some asshole has to say, "But they're kids. That's what kids do. They will apologize when they get older and have kids of their own."

At what point do you have to say enough is enough?


Parents are only people we have a end point to the pushing of our buttons. The questions is what is an OK end point? Is it when your kids having been screaming for hours destroying everything in the house? or When they stand on the front porch of their grandmothers house screaming, "Fuck you!. I fucking hate you! I don't want to go home with you. I am going to live at my fathers/grandparents house. You suck! I don't ever want to see you again!" At what point will the same assholes from above with the great parenting advise say, "That is the breaking point, you shouldn't have to take that."?



Parents are supposed to be perfect robots. The only emotion we are allowed to have is love. The problem is parent robots are not realistic. Our job as parents (in the emotions department) is be a test subject for how the rest of the world will react to your emotions.

e.g. -  You run up to me after school and give me big hug and say you love me. I in turn feel motivated to reward that behavior with letting you stay at your friends home on Friday night.

~or~

You have a melt down and scream how much you hate me and you don't want to live with me because my rules are to strict. I will not be as inclined to drive you and your friends around all weekend listening to music that makes me want to slit my wrists.



There are no right answers when it comes to parenting. No hand book but a thousand critics. For myself I will continue shooting from the hip and going with my gut.

As a parent my gut says: If you want to live with your dad or grandparents or whatever, go for it. If you want to cut off all communication and cut me out of your life, that's a choice you will have to live with. My gut also tells me that when you come back to mend fences when you are older and have your own children you will find that bridge has long been burned down never to be rebuilt. The lesson here is how far you can push peoples love. Now you will never have to learn that from anyone else and I have done my job as a parent teaching you how the world and the people in it operate emotionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment