Thursday, January 12, 2012

The shanking in Mexico: part deux


As we entered Mexico the veil of cushy USA dropped with the first tank full of 3 soldiers with weapons aimed right at us (the first of many I might add) just on the other side of the border. I am not sure if we felt more safe or more in danger. At 80 mph we sailed into the heart of a very impoverished town called Rio Bravo. Cyning was in shock and awe when he saw shanty town after shanty town leading the way to the hospital.

I admit I was having a few second thoughts. The pollution was amazing, even the staunchest conservative would have been crying out for the tree hugging hippy environmentalists to do something. As we pulled up to the hospital it seemed like the preverbal palm tree and pond in the desert.

I could hear the sound of angels singing it's praises. I believe Cyning felt the same way. We walked into the reception area. Clean, comfortable, well decorated, greeted by smiling faces. Maybe we won't die after all.  Not to be pessimistic but the euphoria I was feeling could have easily been the joy of simply getting out of the minivan from hell. By getting out I mean Armin running around to open the door as it doesn't open from the inside.
Once safe inside Armin showed us to our room. Again we were pleasantly surprised by the quaintness. Armin scuttled off only to return with our hospital paper work (all in Spanish of course) so he could review it with us. We decided it would be best to at least have a translator or at the very least a medical professional review the paper work with us. Armin was offended, I could tell. I didn't care in the least. In walked the round and smiling face of our hero Dr. Levi.

Dr. Levi got right down to business. They had a cancellation for the surgery before me so he wanted to get mine done early. 
The head nurse a lovely woman with very long, very gold sparkly nails came in to assist a new young nurse in placing my IV. After a ten minute try and eventually landing it directly into my ligament (yeah it's even more painful than it sounds) I had to cry uncle. 
Side note: As a one time phlebotomist I know the importance of feeling calm and confident when you stick. But my goodness every one has a breaking point. Mine is a 20gauge needle buried deep into my ligament.
I have been less sweaty after running a 5K. I thought I was going to pass out and throw up all at once. Dr. Levi took over and patiently showed the young girl just what to do. After the IV was in he immediately ordered extra sedative. Good call Doc.
The next thing I remember is being wheeled into the operating room.

Cyning, all decked out in scrubs, came in to support me. Even with one of the worst flu's of his life with a  raging fever. What a  guy.
2 1/2 hours (and a lot of sedative) later they had me all fixed up and ready to go.
We were treated like royalty humans family. Very unlike the US medical system.
22 hours later our feet were firmly planted on US soil and on the road to recovery. We look forward to many little Meadowcrofts to carry on our political, society antagonizing mischief. 
And the world said a little prayer for Laramie County School District #1, They thought all our kids were done and gone. Muhahaahaha.





No comments:

Post a Comment